About the trooper…
The 17th century cottages that comprise the Valiant Trooper have served as alehouses for many centuries.
The first traceable evidence is when the property, then known as the Royal Oak, was left in the will of one John Barnes in 1752. It then came into the possession of Isaac Dell Master whose initials "ID" and the date 1769 can be seen incised in the brickwork alongside the main window. The name changed to the Trooper Alehouse in 1803 – rumoured to be because the Duke of Wellington met his troops here to discuss tactics.
Today, this long tradition of hospitality is continued by Pete, Wendy and team. The Valiant Trooper is a popular meeting place for local residents and visitors alike.